Monday, October 21, 2013

Spirit Box

I think it's a "crime" to throw out tin boxes.  Well, you can recycle them today, but I have saved some Altoids boxes that I didn't know what to do with until I saw this article in the September/October issue of Cloth Paper Scissors on making spirit boxes using old tins.  The article is by Lyn Belisle and you can order the ceramic faces in her etsy shop.  Being a polymer clay "fiend" I made my own faces out of polymer clay and a mold, then painted them.  Here is my first attempt at a spirit box and it was so much fun.


The front which is embellished with various paper scraps, beads, fabric trim, copper wire, twig, and the painted polymer clay face.


I left the Altoids tin plain inside except for a sticker that says gratitude.


The back of the tin I collaged with paper and the white is gesso.  I painted the edges with acrylic paint and varnished them.


The back of the piece with the tin attached.   


The glue has to be tough so that the box can be opened without tearing off the art work.  E6000 jewelry glue is great. 
So, if you have a secret wish or prayer, write it down and put in the box and hang it on the wall!  The spirit will guard it and no one will know.  :)

I also got busy making more polymer clay mosaic tiles for my picture frames and boxes.  I took a long hiatus from that since it's pretty repetitive.  Here's a picture of some partially painted tiles.  It takes three coats and I usually use some Perfect Pearls metallics to swipe on at the end.  They give that magical shimmer to the paint, and add depth.  Hopefully I'll have some pictures for finished pieces soon.



Have a creative day and thanks for stopping by!  

1 comment:

Orsini's Angels said...

Beautiful piece! Nice to see your creativity flowing. XOXOXO